How to make a complaint

We work to high standards and we hope this is reflected in your experience with us. We want to continue to improve our services so we welcome your feedback and we want to learn from our mistakes.
Making a complaint
If you're unhappy with any part of our service then we want to know about it. You can make a complaint if you're an offender, a victim or a victim's family member.
To be considered, your complaint  has to be about an action or decision, or a failure to act or decide, taken Cumbria and lancashire Community Rehabilitation Company.
We can't look into something that is already being investigated by the police or subject to a decision by the courts, statutory tribunal, Parole Board, Crown Prosecution Service or the Criminal Cases Review Commission.
Your complaint won't normally be considered if it's about something that happened more than 12 months ago.
Talk to us
As a first step you might find it more helpful to talk to the member of staff involved. You can do this either face to face or over the telephone. Tell then how you feel and why you're unhappy with the service you've received. If you find it difficult talking to this person then you can ask to discuss your complaint with a more senior member of staff.
Write to us
Alternatively, you can make a formal complaint in writing. You should sign it and send it to:
Chief Executive
Cumbria and Lancashire CRC
6 Albert Edward House
The Pavilions
PR2 2YB 
You can ask someone else to make the complaint on your behalf. To do this, you will need to write a short letter telling us that you have given this person permission to make the complaint for you. The letter will need to be signed by you and sent to us with the complaint.
The Chief Executive will reply to you within five working days of receiving your letter. They will explain how your complaint will be handled and will tell you when you can expect to receive a formal response to your complaint.
What if I'm not satisfied?
If you are still not satisfied you can appeal within 20 working days of receiving a formal response. To do this, you should write to the Chief Executive and explain why you want to appeal. The Chief Executive will acknowledge your letter in writing, within five working days of receiving it.
A panel will then look at your appeal. They might ask to meet you and the investigating officer. The outcome will be sent to you within 20 working days of the receipt of your letter. The panel will let you know if they need more time to make a decision.
Taking further steps
If you have taken these steps but you're still unsatisfied with the decision, you can write to the Prison and Probation Ombudsman. You have to do this within three months of receiving your appeal decision. You should address your letter to:
Prison and Probation Ombudsman
PO Box 70769
If you've taken all the steps available and you're still not satisfied with the decision, then you can ask a Member of Parliament to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for consideration. The Parliamentary Ombudsman will normally only deal with your case if you've already tried to resolve the complaint and received a response from us.
A complaint form which gives you all the information you need can be found at or you can ask for a copy by calling 03450 154033.


Watch a short film about how Restorative Justice helped a victim and an offender move on after a crime

View our Restorative Justice video

Could Restorative Justice help you?

Click here to book a call back for an informal chat.

Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Twitter